Monday, September 23, 2013

Day 14

Day 14

Jenny Proctor LukEli K-9


Wow! Day 14. Has it really been two weeks since Hank came to stay with us here at LukEli? I can hardly believe it! I am also amazed at the progress he's made. He came to us so paralyzed with fear that he couldn't move and didn't want anything to do with me. Now I can't get him to stop following me around! He started out taking baby steps toward trust and now every day he seems to take a leap forward. Next thing you know he'll be taking leaps AND bounds forward. It brings a smile to my face

Hank on his 6 ft leash, look at that smile!
The power of small progressions through desensitization by keeping training sub-aversive can definitely be seen in Hank's case. His aversion threshold around humans when we started was extremely low. We were big, scary creatures that brought on a state of learned helplessness in Hank. I couldn't touch him at all. I worked on improving this area very slowly and incrementally. First I could just barely touch his chin, then the side of his face, his collar, his shoulders, and then his back. Now I can reach down and pat him on the head, pet him down his back, scratch his butt (his favorite), and do all this stuff with both hands at the same time! It took me two weeks to be able just to pet him down his back without him flinching and moving away. Think about that for a second. An action we all thoughtlessly perform on many dogs all the time, reaching down and petting them, took me two weeks of concerted non-stop counterconditioning and desensitizing to accomplish. He has progressed very rapidly, thankfully. Many dogs aren't so easily able to bounce back. Hanks aversion threshold is much higher now, though still well below well-adjusted dogs. 

Now for the update: just yesterday, Hank walked on the 6 ft leash for the first time! It was slow going and he wasn't comfortable with it at all, however he still did it. Each time we go for a walk it becomes easier and easier for Hank to feel safe. We've also started working on teaching Hank the "sit" cue. He's picking it up quickly. I'm pretty sure he'll turn out to be a star pupil. Hank has started to feel so comfortable that we're now working on some behaviors that have started to emerge that aren't so cute. He likes to follow behind me barking and nipping at my clothes, which may be cute while he's a puppy, but certainly won't be when he's an adult. That's ok, though. We'll get it sorted out. He's learning what's expected of him a little at a time. Hank is starting to bloom, and for that, I'm grateful.

Now, without further ado, check out the link below for the video to see Hank strut his stuff!






No comments:

Post a Comment