Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Day 3

Day 3

By LukEli Trainer Jenny Proctor



Hank has settled in to the routine nicely here. He is learning that he can expect the same things to happen every day. Dogs like routine, especially fearful dogs, and Hank is no exception. Most of his time is spent just hanging out with me and the other dogs, with some desensitization and counter conditioning exercises interspersed throughout the day. 

I have been working with Hank to accept touch through the use of treats. I offer a treat and wait for Hank to decide to come and take it from me. I incorporate touch into this process by extending one hand out (palm facing up and open) while holding the treat in the other hand. In order for Hank to reach the treat he has to extend his head and neck over my outstretched hand. At first he was only willing to take the treat if I offered it at the end of my hand and in the presence of other dogs. We have worked our way up to my being able to touch the underside of his jaw and occasionally (if I use an extremely high motivator like cheese or turkey) I am able to touch his collar with only one other dog nearby. When he is alone with people he becomes almost unwilling to engage at all.

 I have also begun to attach a leash and let him drag it around behind him for awhile so he gets used to it following him around. He is NOT ok with me holding the leash, however, and completely shuts down if I try to hold it. He becomes much more cautious about his movements with the leash on and if I walk anywhere near him while it's attached he chooses to flee to his safe spot (his kennel). He refuses most food motivators while the leash is on as well.

This is going to be a very slow, painstaking process that will need to be continued long after he returns to his foster home and once he finds his forever home too. Hank has formed some very negative associations with human touch, as well as leashes. Undoing something so traumatic for Hank takes three things: Time, Patience, and Consistency.

The good news is that Hank is still very young and he has every chance at turning things around with the right encouragement and help. We are doing our very best to give him just that!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for taking the time with this beautiful pup. You are special!

    ReplyDelete